21 October 2020

In Every Direction


With the goal of building up a modest business for myself making graphic novels and other projects, I work nowadays in many directions to learn what this venture could look like. It’s not possible to jump from obscurity to novel publication, sadly, so I have to figure out what to do beyond The Engineeress. Not that I mind. My failing has always been an inability to focus on one thing.


This process is a bit like going for a bra fitting. I have to take my clothes off, and take a look in the mirror at what I am trying to hold up to scrutiny. Then I measure my dimensions, and make a selection of possible styles. I’m more punk than frilly, but my favourites are the comfortable ones. I am trying on many different things.


Over the last two months, I’ve tried on a few that are very exciting for me - Additional comic-making in order to get some publications. Blogging. Social media presence. Web comics. Attending events. Reading a ton of other people’s works. Contributing to things, pitching into the community. Meeting influential people in the industry. Joining groups with other artists or interested folks.


A big one is figuring out where my work “fits”. And, chief among bra-choosing activities: getting advice from experts.


The next thing I would like to do is find a mentor. Not sure how to go about that yet.


I have just one page left of Eight Weeks, my comic memoir of miscarriage to complete. Above is the probably final design of text - positioning it below the artwork was the only way I could steer people through the comic before they leapt to the words. Seductive little things, words.


Took me a few tries. While the artwork is drawn and one in one step on paper, I added the text in Adobe Photoshop, my go to program after trying the cheaper and free competition. No, I am not sponsored! I wish. I make countless trials and too many errors to ever write on my comics!  




No comments:

Post a Comment