05 May 2011

May 4th, 2011




Today I attended a wreath-laying ceremony at Beechwood Cemetery. May 4th is Rememberance Day in the Netherlands. A large Dutch tour group attended the ceremony. Squeaks from a little toddler in our midst, and the playing of nearby schoolchildren sounded through the 2 minutes of silence. I always love the bagpipe. The Ambassador's teenage daughter helped lay the wreath.

I am never sure how to feel on Rememberance Day. A Dutchwoman told me that it was a time for memories and happiness. The main thing I took away from it was the chance to chat with older Dutch people, to catch more of the flavour of these fascinating people.

Above, some busriders from over the last week. I found people more quiet lately. We are all tired after all the excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment